Tuesday, May 22nd: Your brain and sugar
A UCLA study revealed that sugar can severely affect cognitive ability. Mice fed high fructose corn syrup had impaired ability to navigate a maze, which probably isn’t too surprising. However, feeding the mice omega-3 fats counteracted the effects of the HFCS, which is actually interesting. A few things to remember:
- Despite the PC response from the head researcher, there is actually no qualitative difference between the fructose in HFCS and the fructose in fruit. Eating too much fruit (especially dried fruit) can be bad, “antioxidants” notwithstanding.
- Although the mice got their omega-3 from flax seeds, this doesn’t make them a significant source for humans.
Schedule Changes (temporary):
- Monday, May 28th (Memorial day) – there will only be an 11am and 12 noon CrossFit class
- Friday, June 1st – there will be no 4:30 CrossFit class
- Tuesday, June 5th – there will be no 4:30 CrossFit class